Recently, social psychology is a great matter of interest to a lot of people who are conscious of the public impact of any behavior. This topic also has generated numerous researches and studies to analyze its real characteristics. People are being fascinated by this particular one as it is directly connected to human behavior and reflection.
What social psychology is and about?
According to the encyclopedia, social psychology is the particular scientific study of how people’s thoughts, feelings, and behavior get impacted by the presence of others, that can be actual or virtual, even imaginary! Social psychology focuses on three main areas, there are-
- Social Thinking
- Social Influence
- Social Behaviour
This topic is very interesting and yields a great arena of research nowadays. Well people love to learn how to behave with others and they seem much more conscious about this, so everyone should have some basic view of this field! Reading and learning more about social psychology allows you to learn more about yourself and the environment around you more clearly and frequently. That’s why this is really important in today’s world!
Some interesting facts about social psychology
Social psychology deals with the way people behave with each other. Ir is a scientific method that analyzes people’s behavior and makes them into data to make it more thoughtful and reasonable. Researchers don’t just randomly say anything, rather they do experiments and say what is better and what should be done! This method is really unique and full of different data based facts! Let’s have a look at some of those!
- The trait ‘intellectual humility’ relates to one of the most interesting psychological facts that if a person is questioned about his own knowledge or field, he/she is supposed to think that they might not be always right. They make some more fact checks and realize that they can also be wrong too. Thus this ‘intellectual humility’ makes people more intelligent!
- People can go to a great extent to obey an authority figure; yes that is fact-checked! When people are instructed to do something by their higher authority, they always try to do that with an impressive result. If there is any chance to fail, they can take up any challenges to save their impression! This is also connected to the idea of being promoted!
- The situation is mostly the king! No matter how the person is, his behavior may be changed because of the situation demanded at any time. Mostly, accidents, fearful things, terror drive people to wrap up their actual behavior and tend to behave like what the situation demands! Maybe a person is brave enough to fight any wrong, but he can still stay silent in a terror event. It is actually the game of hormones.
- People love to believe things they already know. Strange right? But people rarely put their faith in something not familiar to them, even though there are much more evidence and logic to believe the new! People love to stay sticky with their memorized things, same goes for the memory too. People tend to believe data that is based on old events that happened to them. Maybe that’s why not very much people can accept changes or new decisions,
- Implicit attitudes are powerful too! Our evaluations towards things, thoughts, and people are called our attitude. This can be both explicit and implicit. Explicit attitudes can easily be shown by our words, expressions, and discussions. But implicit attitude is something that is not expressed too often. But researchers say that implicit attitude is equally powerful for us while we make any decision
- This may be relatable to many of us. Hard times teach the extreme. When a person passes some difficult time and there is no result after so much effort, he receives an extreme lesson not only from life but also from every small incident that happened with him! It is because, when a person is sad or passing hard times, his brain is then super active to hear something positive and that’s why then every small incident with details is marked on his mind. This is a painful way to learn for sure, but one can have the most powerful lessons by this!
- Our expectations control our minds and behavior. It may sound somewhere selfish but ultimately it is true. We set up a set of expectations on our closed ones and we expect that they will behave like this. When they behave according to our thoughts, we are totally alright with them. But when they fail to meet our expectations we start to think a lot about their behavior. This one happens to almost every one of us and sometimes it leads to high fights like separation, divorce, and such painful experiences. So this fact should be marked in the mind!
- People love to go with the flow. This fact also stands for groupthink and good leadership too. But most of the people tend to follow others and not very much interested to have some brainstorm and make up something new. This actually proves that people are great fond of following. They are kind of uncomfortable to make some exceptions all of a sudden. Maybe that’s why they tend to go with the flow and say the same words of the procession.
- Sleep determines your mental condition on physical expression, rather than facial expression. A study at the University of Arizona says that scientists found it harder to recognize the facial expression of those people who had not slept well for the last 24 hours. They are hard to read by facial expression.
No doubt, social psychology holds a very great and special position in the aura of mental health and psychology. People are getting closer to this topic day by day and researchers also are engaged with their finest studies. But these facts are mostly unknown to many of the common people. Some public events can help to spread this powerful idea into mass people! After all, knowing facts about social psychology makes you more confident to behave with others!